History

The Fork Civic Club was started in the early 1950’s by a group of men whose major goal was to form a fire department for the community.  After several meetings in the old schoolhouse building, it was decided to tear it down and use the material for a civic club building.

Upon completion of the project, the group got down to the task of constructing a building to house the first fire truck, a 1955 Chevrolet with a 950 gallon capacity tank, which was purchased in October of 1954.  Fork Volunteer Fire Department was officially incorporated on October 25, 1954.  With approximately 15 men serving as volunteer firefighters, they began the task of fund raising with barbeques and door-to-door canvassing.  Hundreds of manhours went into the initial building and organizing of this department.  John Bailey was elected the first chief and served until 1963.

In 1960, a second truck was purchased, a 1960 Ford with a 750 gallon capacity tank.  Tom Rice was elected chief in 1963 and served through 1976.  In 1974, a fourth bay was added to the building which approximated 900 more square feet.  It was to house our third truck, a 1975 Ford (Howe pumper).  It has a 750 gallon capacity with pump.

In 1977, Wiley Potts was elected chief and served through 1982.  In 1983, Gene Jones was elected chief and served until 1989.  Nathan Walker was elected chief for 1990.  In 1991, Tony Moore was elected chief and held that position until 1999.  Our current chief, Nathan Walker has held that position since 1999.

In 2002, a fifth bay was added onto the station to house an additional truck and serve as a training space for our firefighters.

Our current station has 5 bay and houses two engines, one pumper/tanker, one brush truck, and a brush/medical truck.  Offsite, we also house a rehab truck that is run by the Auxiliary and is dispatched throughout the county when rehab services are needed.

In 2005 the Board of Directors purchased a house and 2 acres of land across Fork Bixby Road from the current station to eventually build a new fire station for the community.  We are currently in the design process and are raising funds to build the new station.

In the spring of 2012 The Fork Civic Club donated its building and land to the fire department.  The building is in the process of being renovated with the hopes of holding training meetings and hosting community events there in the future.